Thursday 31 May 2012

Meet hollywood's favorite photographer!

   Alright, so in this post I'm going to talk about Hollywood's so called favorite photographer who sparks controversies with every single shoot of his. He's shot with celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, Shanae Grimes, Demi Lovato and the list is endless. Each of his pictures is a work of art, trust me. And the man of the hour is, Tyler Shields!!
   Tyler Shields began his photography career by posting on Myspace. His work often involves splattered blood. He's best known for collecting blood from 20 celebrites to make a piece of art for an exhibit of his from Los Angeles. Shocked? Maybe that's the reaction he was going for.
   He recently sparked a huge controversy with his latest shoot with girlfriend Francesca Eastwood. Why? Well, in this particular shoot, he burned a Birkin bag and ran a chainsaw through it. For all of you who don't know what a Birkin bag is, it's the most sought after bag in the world, there's even a waiting list for it. And sometimes, it's price can go above $100,000(That's Rs 55 Lakhs for us indians).
   He's been severely criticized for wasting such a huge deal of money whereas it could be put to better use, which I agree to. Some say it could feed the homeless, some say that they would have kept the bag for themselves. He's even been getting death treats :O But he maintains that it's all for art. Tyler has in fact in a way voiced his opinion on the luxury consumer culture, and the way people overvalue a bag which is, in his words, "no different from a bag you get at the grocery store—you carry sh-t in it."  
  My opinion is, Let's cut the guy some slack, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and he was trying to voice his. After all, it IS his own money. And the photographs in my opinion, do look fantastic. 




And here are some amazing pictures from his other shoots :








In the end, I admire his work. What do you think about this whole Birkin bag destruction controversy? Let me know in the comments!

- By Sruthi Warrier.

6 comments:

  1. Think I have started liking tyler for the bag stunt. (It is a controversy only if I accept it to be.) I like the disrespect he has shown to people and objects which are looked at from a monetary point of view alone... and Respect to him for that. His photos seem to be ruthlessly raw and I like his "right from hell-devil be damned" attitude. Its variety that makes the world spicy... Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, his photos are brilliant and he speaks his mind through them. :)

      Delete
  2. wow!... that's some stunt and strong opinion!...the pictures say it all! good post Sruthi, I like the way you put this perspective!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart weeps for that bag!! I went bonkers in HongKong looking at Berkins and their stupid price tags, and these images made me crazy!!
    Great post! I really love this type of photography..

    http://head2heels-roxanne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? But it's so goddamn expensive :(
      And thank you :)

      Delete